Saturday, July 31, 2010

Homework 6

TASK: The past few days I did a few chores in which I definitely noticed a rhythm. While folding laundry I noticed this rhythm: pick up, fold, fold, fold, put down. While vacuuming I noticed a very simple rhythm that is very relaxing when you focus on it: push forward, pull backward, push forward, pull backward, etc. And finally, while making my bed I noticed this rhythm: lift, place, tuck, tuck, tuck, and this was repeated three times for my sheet, top sheet, and comforter.

THEATER: I decided to research the word "academy". While reading up on its etymology, I found that the word has a pretty straight forward history. There was a famous Athenian from the ancient Greek Trojan War tales named Akademos. His name actually means "of a silent district" but that has no bearing on the meaning of the word today. He owned an estate in Athens that was the place where Plato taught his school therefore similar places were referred to as "academies".

EMPATHY: I'm imagining walking in the shoes of my favorite NHL goaltender, Dominic Hasek. Growing up as boy in Czechoslovakia behind the Iron Curtain is a difficult life. I have an aspiration to be an athlete but in my home country there are not many options. I grow up looking up to the elite hockey players of the USSR and eventually play throughout my school career. I move to a very strange country, the United States at a young age and must adjust to a whole new culture. I eventually earn fame and money on my way to having a very successful career in the NHL and going on to win the Stanley Cup.

If Dominic Hasek grew up in my shoes, I believe his life would be very different. In my hometown and in my schools growing up, hockey was not a popular sport and there are not many opportunities to play. He would probably begin to play roller hockey and be very successful at a very low level, probably going on to playing ice hockey in high school, then eventually playing in the NCAA during college before most likely starting a successful NHL career at a later age than he did in his real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment